Cast Your Vote in the 2014 JAZZed Reader's Poll! Click here to vote now!

Juilliard Jazz Announces Summer Camps and Workshops

March 8, 2013

This summer, Juilliard Jazz will offer seven camps and workshops around the United States and in Australia and Japan for students who are dedicated, disciplined, and passionate about jazz. The one-week programs are designed to give young jazz musicians a taste of what a Juilliard Jazz student’s life is all about. Taught by Juilliard Jazz’s renowned faculty and graduate students, the curriculum focuses on refining technique, performance, improvisation, theory, ear training, small combo training, and broadening students’ understanding of various jazz styles. Instruments offered include trumpet, saxophone, trombone, guitar, piano, acoustic bass, and drums.

The rigorous program will also prepare students for a future in music by teaching them essential skills and offering the opportunity to meet working, successful artists involved in the industry.

The daily schedule includes a musicianship class, individual practice, ensemble work, and listening sessions, and concludes with a concert where each camp participant will perform in their group and get a chance to take a solo.

The experienced Juilliard Jazz faculty combines a remarkable variety of technical and musical skill, as demonstrated on stages and in recording studios around the world. Current faculty members and past instructors of the summer workshops, include drummer Carl Allen, Artistic Director of Jazz Studies at Juilliard; saxophonist Ron Blake; pianist, composer and arranger Xavier Davis; guitarist Rodney Jones; pianist and composer Frank Kimbrough; trumpeter Joe Magnarelli; flutist, composer and arranger Mark Vinci; and vibraphonist, composer, and producer Mark Sherman.

http://www.juilliard.edu/youth-adult/summer/summer-jazz.php